Stay connected with the BHL community through our mailing list, blog, and social media.
BHL Mailing List
Subscribe to our mailing list to get program updates delivered right to your inbox.
Follow and subscribe to our blog to get news and updates from BHL, as well as awesome information about books in our collection!
BHL Social Media
Follow @BioDivLibrary on Twitter and use the hashtag #BHLib on your own BHL related tweets.
Note: The @BioDivLibrary Facebook account is on hiatus as of 1 July 2021.
Become a fan of BHL on Facebook.
Explore thousands of images from BHL books in the BHL Flickr.
Follow and repin images from BHL on Pinterest.
Note: The @BioDivLibrary Instagram account is on hiatus as of 8 July 2020.
Enjoy scientific illustrations from BHL on Instagram.
Back to top
BHL Member and Affiliate Social Media
Follow our BHL Members and Affiliates on social media! Note: For our multi-partner Members and Affiliates, only the social media accounts for the lead institutions are provided in this table. You can see a full list of all of our partners on our BHL Consortium page.
Back to top
Want to discover online conversations about BHL books? Altmetric on BHL allows you to do just that!
Altmetric is a UK-based company that offers tools to help track online mentions of a library’s or publisher’s content. Sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Wikipedia, Reddit, Google+, and Mendeley, as well as other online sources like blogs and news outlets, are indexed.
Altmetric is tracking online conversations that include links to BHL books and articles. All mentions of an individual book (which include a link to the book itself or a link to a page within that book) are aggregated together into a single dashboard that allows you to explore all of the conversations happening about that item in one place. Each book’s individual dashboard is accessible by clicking on the Altmetric badge (a colorful, donut-shaped icon) in the book viewer header or the “see more details” link in the information box that pop-ups when you hover over the Altmetric badge (see below) in BHL.
- The Altmetric icon will appear in the book viewer header for any book that has been mentioned (and where that mention includes an actual link to that book or a page within that book) on one of the indexed online sites. If there is no Altmetric icon in the book viewer header, then there have not yet been any online conversations (with a link) about that book.
- Altmetric dynamically tracks new online mentions of BHL books. That means that if you tweet or post about a book in BHL (and include the link to it), Altmetric will subsequently index that post and make it available in BHL via the described Altmetric icon.
- Altmetric picks up new mentions on Twitter, news outlets, and blogs on a daily basis. Mentions on Wikipedia, Google+, and Facebook are picked up and indexed via the described dashboards every 2-3 days.
- Mentions of BHL content on social media sites (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Reddit, and Mendeley) are captured from June 2014-onwards. Mentions of BHL content on blogs and news articles are captured since the launch of BHL onwards.
- Indexed conversations are those that include links that start with “https://biodiversitylibrary.org/item/” or “https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/” or “https://biodiversitylibrary.org/part/.” We are not tracking mentions with links that start with “https://biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/” due to Google Scholar tag guidelines, which form the basis of Altmetric’s tracking ability.
- Traditionally, Altmetric tracks only DOI (Digital Object Identifiers) mentions, but for this project our team worked with Altmetric to pioneer the tracking of URIs (Unique Resource Identifiers) via Altmetric. In exchange, Altmetric has granted us free access to their license and services.
BHL’s implementation of Altmetric was made possible in part by a grant from the Institute for Museum and Library Services as part of our Mining Biodiversity Project [Grant number LG-00-14-0032-14].
Smithsonian Directive SD-814 regarding social media activities applies to all social media platforms and activities.
Promotion of 3rd party content through BHL’s website and communication channels is restricted to entities with which BHL has an official relationship.